The Strings Program at Holy Cross Academy
- Open to Holy Cross Academy students grades 2-8
- Classes meet weekly and perform a winter and spring concert each year.
- Group classes are all fewer than 10 students so each student receives individual attention.
- Home practice expectations are reasonable and students are given plenty of materials to build good practice habits.
- Classes are open to students interested in playing violin, viola, or 'cello.
- Tuition rates are very reasonable and scholarships are available for current or prospective students.
The strings program at Holy Cross Academy began in Fall of 2017 and currently has three classes of enthusiastic beginners. Mr. Drew Robertson is an experienced violinist, violist, and Suzuki-trained teacher who employs a fun blend of Suzuki Method instruction, fiddling, seasonal tunes, and hilarious musical games to make every class exciting!
During the first year, students focus on how to hold their instrument, create a fantastic tone, perform as a group ensemble, and master foundational pieces from Suzuki Book 1 and a variety of fiddle and traditional sources.
Second year students will work on note reading, ensemble performance, learning the music for Mass, and mastering more challenging pieces.
The strings program at Holy Cross Academy is a great way to begin playing a string instrument!
Enrollment and tuition are due by Friday, September 7, 2018.
Enrollment and withdraw closes Friday, September 14, 2018.
A properly-sized instrument is essential for successful string playing. To ensure success and comfort for each student, Drew works with every child to find the ideal fit for their instrument, chinrest, and shoulder rest. Please come to Holy Cross Academy on the dates below to fit your child for an instrument!
Wednesday, 8/22 from 12:30-3:00 PM at Holy Cross Academy
Wednesday, 8/29 from 9:00-11:30 AM at Holy Cross Academy (during school hours)
Thursday, 9/6 from 9:00-11:30 AM at Holy Cross Academy (during school hours)
Families may also schedule Individual instrument fittings at the Drew Robertson Music Studio in Manassas Park (please send an email to email@example.com to set up a meeting time)
Parent Information Handout
Drew Robertson is an enthusiastic teacher invested in the success of the strings program at Holy Cross Academy. To learn more about his teaching experience or send a message, please click the buttons below.